[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

re: Hacking the LAN

> We are interested in analyzing a client's Internet connection to their
> (large, 2000-user) internal LAN. There are concerns that their other
> systems (behind the SCO UNIX, NCSA HTTP Web server) are open to
> attack/infiltration.

IBM just announced some stuff that might help.  Of course,
it might help your client more than you...   *8)

Sorry if the length bothers anyone.  Note also that I don't
know lots of specific stuff about what's in the announcement,
as I'm not directly associated with these products...

DC

*------------------------------------------------------------------------
 IBM Announces Security Software and Services to Protect the Enterprise
 September 28, 1995

 As part of its long-standing commitment to data security, IBM has
 announced enhancements, availability and pricing for a broad range of
 I/T security products and services designed to protect the enterprise
 from intrusion.

      The announcement includes:

 -- The launch of the Emergency Response Service , which provides expert
    incident management skills to clients during and after electronic
    security emergencies;

 -- A  Customized Infiltration Tool Kit , to detect the most
    subtle weaknesses in a customer's Internet connection;

 -- Significant enhancements and price reductions on IBM's
    firewall  product;

 -- The announcement for  secure Web servers and browsers ;
    enhancements to IBM AntiVirus software to support Windows 95 **;

 -- The  availability of a new release of RACF *, IBM's award-
    winning Resource Access Control Facility, which now provides
    password synchronization across your RACF managed systems;

 -- The announcement of  Internet secure OS/400 *, the operating system
     for the world's most popular business computing system.

           Emergency Response Team Operational Worldwide

 announced that its Emergency Response Service for commercial
 businesses is now operational for customers throughout the world.
 Chartered to provide swift, expert incident management skills to
 clients during and after electronic security emergencies, the
 emergency response team specializes in electronic disasters that
 affect data processing capabilities, and is available to
 customers on a subscription basis via IBM's Integrated Systems
 Solutions Corporation (ISSC)*.

 This global service periodically checks customers' networks
 and can act as an extension of clients' I/T staffs.  In the event
 of a network break-in, the team helps customers detect, isolate,
 contain and recover from unauthorized network infiltration.  They
 are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week around the world.
 IBM team members, who have extensive incident management
 experience, develop an understanding of customers' networks and
 system architectures, as well as how their firewalls are
 configured and maintained.

                 Customized Weakness Detection Kit

 IBM's Customized Infiltration Tool Kit, a sophisticated set
 of tools to detect security weaknesses in clients' Internet
 connections, is available today.  With these tools, IBM can probe
 the subtlest weaknesses that the most sophisticated hackers might
 try to exploit.

 These tools exercise network connections that go beyond the
 capabilities of most existing tools on the market and are
 customized to match clients' specific network configurations.

 The Customized Infiltration Tool Kit is part of IBM's I/T Security
 Consulting offering, and was developed in conjunction with IBM
 Research's Global Security Analysis Labs in New York and Zurich.

                   Advanced Firewall Security ***

 As part of these security announcements, IBM announces a
 new release and a price reduction for its firewall, the Internet
 Connection Secured Network Gateway*, to promote its wider
 availability and advance the state of security on the Internet.
 Formerly known as the NetSP Secured Network Gateway, the Internet
 Connection Secure Network Gateway will be available to the public
 on October 27.

 The firewall now supports AIX 4.1.3, and operates with the
 popular RISC System/6000* workstation.  It contains an encrypted
 IP tunnel that encodes data from one firewall to another using
 DES, the Data Encryption Standard invented by IBM more than 20
 years ago, and Commercial Data Masking Facility (CDMF), an
 exportable encryption technology used outside of North America.
 The IP tunnel and key distribution is one of the first that is
 based on the latest IETF specifications, providing the most
 advanced technology for firewalls currently available.

 The Internet Connection Secured Network Gateway also includes remote
 administration and an alarm capability that allows a user to set
 alerts that are triggered when certain errors or other security
 violations occur.

                Secure Web Servers and Browsers ***

 IBM is also announcing the IBM Internet Connection Secure
 Web Servers for the OS/2* and AIX* platforms and IBM's Internet
 Connection Secure WebExplorer for OS/2 Warp.  Using the industry
 standard protocols Secure HyperText Transfer Protocol (S-HTTP)
 and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)**, these secure Web servers and
 browser will be commercially available on December 8.  IBM
 Internet Connection Secure Servers provide several security
 methods for conducting commerce over the Internet, including
 public key data encryption technology.

                    Anti-Virus Software and Services

 IBM also announced that its IBM AntiVirus software will be
 available for the Windows 95 platform in November.  IBM AntiVirus
 software provides comprehensive virus detection, removal and
 protection for over 6,000 known computer viruses, and is widely
 available on the OS/2*, DOS**, Windows**,  and NetWare**
 platforms for $49.

 IBM AntiVirus scans memory, hard disks, floppy drives and
 network servers for thousands of viruses, including polymorphic
 viruses that change to avoid detection, and viruses previously
 considered impossible to discover.  To uncover unknown viruses,
 the software contains heuristics that attempt to find viruses by
 watching for behavior that is characteristic of viruses. IBM's
 anti-virus software products are available on the Internet via
 IBM's AntiVirus home page at http://www.brs.ibm.com/ibmav.htm.

                          RACF 2.2 Debuts

 IBM's acclaimed Resource Access Control Facility (RACF) for
 MVS will debut Version 2.2 this week on September 29.  RACF is a
 versatile, effective security tool that protects MVS system
 resources from inadvertent damage and deliberate misuse of data.
 New features for RACF 2.2 include password synchronization and
 the ability to administer multiple remote RACF databases with a
 single command, without logging onto the remote systems.  RACF
 2.2 also features a "remove ID" utility that eliminates security
 problems created by old, unneeded user ID's, and has expanded its
 support for OpenEdition MVS by providing security checking and
 auditing for the XPG4 environment.  RACF 2.2 also provides
 enhancements to its PassTicket support, an alternative to RACF
 passwords.  With RACF 2.2 you can now use unique PassTicket keys
 for different RACF users and groups who need access to the same
 secured application.

 These new features build upon support provided in RACF 2.1,
 such as RACF's sysplex data sharing support which uses the
 System/390 parallel sysplex services to cache RACF data.  RACF
 also uses these services to transmit selected administrative
 commands to peer RACF systems.  The administrator can send these
 commands from one system to take effect on all systems enabled
 for sysplex communication.

 IBM has previously announced its intention to enhance RACF
 for VM by providing support for the OpenEdition POSIX and Shared
 File System features of VM/ESA.

                      Internet Secure OS/400

 IBM's AS/400 operating system, OS/400, offers a fully integrated
 set of security features that have been evaluated to meet the U.S.
 Government C2 security criteria.  OS/400 Version 2 Release 3 is
 scheduled to receive the C2 rating at the National Security Conference
 in October.  Subsequent releases of OS/400 have been designed to meet
 C2 and IBM intends to continue to participate in the government
 evaluation process.  Included in the C2 evaluation was the AS/400
 relational database DB2/400, which is integrated into the operating
 system, and utilizes the same security mechanisms as OS/400.  This
 ensures the integrity of information stored in OS/400, as well as the
 security of user access to AS/400 computing resources, providing
 customers with unmatched security for midrange system computing.

 IBM's AS/400 provides full individual accountability via a
 centralized identification and authentication built into the
 system.  Users are uniquely identified by a one-way DES encrypted
 password.

 Since all sharable data is contained in encapsulated
 objects, discretionary access control is maintained by each
 object manager using a system-wide access algorithm.  Access to
 objects may be controlled through public, private, or adopted
 authorities and may be managed through user groups and common
 object authorization lists.

 Additionally, AS/400 provides a highly configurable set of
 auditing capabilities selectable to individual users, objects, or
 events.

 Hardware and software encryption/decryption capabilities
 supporting data confidentiality, non-repudiation, authentication,
 and data integrity are also available on AS/400.

 These announcements complement a wide range of I/T
 security offerings already available from IBM -- from encryption
 hardware and software, access control products, firewalls and
 security management and administration, to DCE security services,
 IBM Global Network security services and implementation services.
 Additional information on these offerings can be found through
 the IBM I/T Security home page, at  http://www.ibm.com/Security.

 IBM's security products support the security component of
 the Open Blueprint.  A white paper with information about
 security in the Open Blueprint is available for reference on the
 Internet at: http://www.torolab.ibm.com/openblue/openblue.htm.

 For more information about other IBM products and services,
 see the IBM home page on the World Wide Web, located at
 http://www.ibm.com.

 *    Indicates trademark or registered trademark of International
      Business Machines.

 **   Indicates trademark or registered trademark of the
      respective companies.

 ***  Editor's Note: For more information on IBM's advanced
 firewall security and Internet Connection Secure Web Servers and
 Browsers, please refer to the accompanying press release.